When you get injured, we take it personally.
No fees until we win your injury case!
Milwaukee Boat Accident Lawyer
Speak with a Milwaukee boat accident lawyer to find out if you can seek compensation for your watercraft crash injuries and to find out what your claim could be worth.
Boating accidents can cause injuries that are every bit as serious as those that occur in motor vehicle accidents on roads and highways. If you’ve been hurt in a watercraft crash, your recovery will likely involve expensive medical care and also result in a number of other damages and losses.
You deserve to be compensated by the at-fault party, but getting a settlement for a boat wreck can be a difficult affair—in part because they occur on the water. This can make it harder to fully investigate and collect the evidence you need to prove your case. However, a Milwaukee boat accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Gary Greenberg can help you navigate this process and get the compensation you deserve.
Proving Negligence in Boating Accidents
It’s the rare boat accident that isn’t caused by someone’s negligence. Finding and proving this negligence will be central to your personal injury claim. While they might happen on the water rather than the land, many of the causes of boating wrecks are similar to those found in car crashes:
- Distracted Operation – Safe boating requires the driver to be focused on what he or she is doing. Paying attention to a cell phone or other distraction can put the passengers, other boaters, and any water skiers or tubers being towed at risk.
- Drunk Boating – Many boat accidents are caused by intoxicated operation, which might be viewed as grossly negligent behavior and qualify you to receive punitive damages.
- Reckless Boating – Many boaters feel compelled to show off, which can easily put others at risk for serious injury.
- Defective Boat Parts or Safety Equipment – Whether a life preserver didn’t work or a boat motor malfunctioned, you can hold the manufacturer accountable for their defective product with help from a Milwaukee boat accident lawyer.
- Pier and Port Accidents – Sometimes pier conditions are poor or the port workers are negligent. If either of these caused your injuries, you might have grounds for a claim.
Injury Type Determines Watercraft Wreck Compensation
While not the only factor, the type of injury you suffered will largely determine how much your personal injury claim is worth. The type and extent of your injury will indicate how long your recovery will take, what impact your quality of life will experience, and what medical care you will require.
Your Milwaukee boat accident lawyer will have experience handling and valuing claims for a wide variety of different injury types:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation
- Spine and neck injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Facial injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Wrongful death, often by drowning
Seeking a Full Settlement for a Boat Wreck
Whether your watercraft accident involved a Jet Ski or a speedboat, you deserve to have all of your damages and losses compensated. Some of these will be financial, while others will be intangible in nature but dramatically affect your quality of life.
Financial damages should account for your future expenses in addition to your current losses. This includes the cost of medical care and equipment, therapy, lost wages and income, transportation expenses, property damage, and any modifications made to your home to accommodate a disability.
Your Milwaukee boat accident lawyer will also make certain that all of your non-economic damages are included in your claim. These cover your pain and suffering, damage done to your marriage and personal relationships, lost sexual function, emotional distress, and lost enjoyment of life.
Wisconsin Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
Getting the settlement you need requires swift action. While evidence and witness testimony are easiest to collect immediately after a boating accident, there’s also the time limit imposed by Wisconsin state law. You have a statute of limitations of three years in which to file your personal injury claim. If you wait too long and exceed this time constraint, you risk having your claim dismissed without being heard.
Speak with a Milwaukee Watercraft Accident Lawyer
Boating crashes aren’t simple to get compensated for, but when someone else’s careless actions leave you injured, you deserve to be compensated for your damages. The Law Offices of Gary Greenberg can help you build the strongest case possible and collect the evidence necessary to prove your claim.
Don’t settle for an inadequate payout that doesn’t cover all of your expenses. Find out what your claim is really worth by speaking with a Milwaukee boat accident lawyer from our office during a free consultation. To begin, simply complete the contact form on this page or call 414-271-7007.