contact us to request a free case review
or call now (414) 271-7007

When you get injured, we take it personally.

No fees until we win your injury case!

  • association_badge
  • association_badge
  • association_badge
  • Outstanding.

  • Very friendly!

  • Excellent!

Request a Consultation
1 Step 1
Nameyour full name
Emaila valid email
Phoneyour full name
Tell us about your casemore details
0 /
powered by FormCraft
* All fields Required Or Call Now414.206.6565

Suing for Sexual Abuse: What You Need to Know

Click below to share this on social media:

When you’re the victim of sexual abuse, you may have trouble recovering from the suffering you were put through. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to face your claim when you’ve suffered sexual abuse. But here’s the good news—you don’t have to seek justice alone. A Milwaukee personal injury lawyer who handles these cases can help.

Your sexual abuse lawyer can try to get the compensation you need through a Milwaukee sexual abuse claim. But what do you need to know before you begin? Check out the details below to learn more about your claim. 

Your Time Limits to Sue 

When you’re hurt because someone committed sexual abuse against you, you may need to act swiftly to get compensated. In Wisconsin, you have three years to file a claim against the person who committed the abuse, or the institution that negligently allowed the abuse. 

If you don’t file a claim within these time limits, you may be barred from compensation. That means you may be unable to get the compensation you’re due for your injuries. Fortunately, your lawyer can step in when you’re hurt and need to act fast. 

Criminal vs. Civil Charges 

When you’ve suffered sexual abuse, the at-fault party may have already been arrested, charged, and even convicted of sexual abuse. The problem is, you haven’t seen any funds for your recovery. So what can you do? 

Criminal charges are handled separately in the court system from civil lawsuits. Criminal court is meant to punish wrongdoers and uphold the law. Civil court is supposed to compensate you for the damages, or losses and impacts caused by the abuse you’ve suffered. 

Because of this, you’re not out of options just because they’ve been put on trial for criminal offenses. You may also seek compensation because they harmed you with their actions. 

What If My Child Was Sexually Abused?

Unfortunately, many adults take advantage of the children in their care, causing serious physical and emotional harm. But your child may be too young to sue. What can you do in these cases? 

Luckily, your family has options. If your child was sexually abused, you may be able to wait until they’re an adult to sue. That gives them the time to act if they choose to. 

But you and your family may want closure and justice now, not later. In these cases, you may be appointed as guardian ad litem to your child. This means you may sue on their behalf when they’ve suffered abuse. 

Contact a Sexual Abuse Attorney for Guidance 

Sexual abuse can be a devastating experience, so taking care of your claim is vital. But you may be unsure how to handle your sexual abuse claim, or you may be worried about making a wrong move and losing your compensation. 

At the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg, we know it’s not easy to recover from sexual abuse, which is why we’re here to help. If you’re a sexual abuse victim seeking compensation for the suffering you experienced, reach out for a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer. Call 414-271-7007 or fill out the following online contact form.