What Are Non-Economic Damages in Wisconsin?

When you think of the compensation you might be entitled to after you’re injured in an accident, you’re likely thinking primarily of economic damages like property damage and medical bills. But have you considered non-economic damages?

In Wisconsin, non-economic damages refer to the hardships your injuries have caused that don’t involve money. To receive compensation for these damages, you have to name them in your claim, but putting a price tag on something like pain and suffering can be difficult.

Consider asking a Wisconsin personal injury lawyer for help. A qualified lawyer can make sure more than just your physical suffering is accounted for in your personal injury claim.

What Is Considered a Non-Economic Damage?

A non-economic damage is any type of hardship resulting from your injury that is not easily given a monetary value. Unlike property damage or medical costs, these damages require detailed analysis to determine their value.

In Wisconsin, the cap on compensation for non-economic damages is set at $750,000.

Types of Non-Economic Damages

Many of the effects of your injuries could be considered non-economic damages, but these hardships typically fall into one of several categories:

Emotional Distress

Emotional distress may refer to the development of depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder after your accident. It may also refer to grief and, in some cases, physical pain as a result of your emotional state.

Loss of Companionship

Your accident may cost you your relationship with your partner or another family member. In these instances, you may be able to claim loss of companionship in your personal injury claim.

Reduced Enjoyment of Life

If your accident resulted in injuries or disabilities that altered your quality of life, you may be able to list reduced enjoyment of life as one of your damages.

Disability or Disfigurement

If your accident caused you to be disabled or disfigured, money isn’t going to make your life the same again. However, you do deserve compensation to make things as easy for you as possible in such a difficult situation.

Talk to a Milwaukee Injury Attorney

If you’ve been hurt in an accident, it’s important that you understand what kinds of damages you can name in your claim for compensation. However, accounting for all of the current and future hardships related to your accident can be tricky.

For help placing the maximum value on your personal injury claim, reach out to the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg. Give us a call today at 414-271-7007 or fill out the online contact form below.