Is It Possible to Sue a Government Agency for an Accident in Wisconsin?

When you are hurt in an accident brought on by a government employee or agency, you may be wondering how you should move forward. Many accident victims like you wonder whether it’s possible to sue a government agency for an accident in Wisconsin.

Doing so is possible, but it’s hard. That’s why the personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg offer our services. We help victims recover the compensation they deserve to move forward with their lives.

Important Steps You Need to Take

Should you be injured by a government employee or agency, you’ll need to quickly make the decision of whether you want to file a claim seeking compensation. The state of Wisconsin has a statute of limitations that maxes out at 120 days after the date of your injury.

Before that time limit has passed, you will need to file a written notice with the attorney general stating your desire to file a claim. You can find the proper form online at the Wisconsin Department of Justice’s website.

The information included in your written notice will need to meet certain criteria in order to be processed. Such information will include basic facts like the date of your injury and where it took place, how your injury was sustained, and the name of any government agencies or employees who contributed to your injuries.

Qualifying to File an Injury Claim

Unfortunately, filing a successful claim against a Wisconsin government agency can be incredibly difficult. The state prohibits claims from being filed against government entities unless it can be proven that the entity was negligent or careless in some way.

Without legal help, this can be nearly impossible to do. But an attorney from the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg can help you show how the government entity was liable and owes you compensation for your injuries.

The Cap on Damages

If you are successful in getting your claim approved, your attorney will do everything he or she can to get you the most compensation possible. However, there is a cap on how much you will be awarded.

In Wisconsin, compensation for injury claims against a state government agency cannot exceed $250,000. If you are filing against a local government agency, your damages will be capped at $50,000.

Call the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg

If you are wondering whether it’s possible to sue a government agency for an accident in Wisconsin, the short answer is yes—but you’re probably going to need the help of a qualified attorney.

The legal team at the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg is here to help. Give us a call today at 414-271-7007 or fill out the online contact form below to schedule a free consultation.