Can I Change My Accident Lawyer?

After a serious injury, you may need a personal injury lawyer to help you recover from your injuries. The problem is, your lawyer may not be providing the guidance and care you need. You may find yourself dissatisfied with their services. 

Now, you may want to change your accident lawyer and work with the team at Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg. But you may be unsure whether you’re able and how to change lawyers the right way. Take the guesswork out of the legal process—work with an attorney who can help you change lawyers, even if you’ve already started work on your accident claim. 

Your Right to Choose Your Attorney

If your claim is going to court, you have a right to choose the attorney you want on your claim. Much like choosing your legal representation for a criminal case, you don’t have to accept a lawyer you’re not happy to work with. 

A client-attorney relationship can fail for many reasons. You may feel your current lawyer doesn’t answer your questions or calls, for example. You may believe your current lawyer is pushing you to accept a low settlement. Or maybe you’re simply unhappy with the lawyer in question, and you want to work with someone you trust. 

In all these cases, you may have grounds to switch lawyers. When you need compensation for your damages, you need a lawyer you can trust and rely on. So where do you start? 

How to Change Lawyers 

If your personal injury claim is eligible for a change in lawyers, you may need to take certain steps first. For example, you need to first ensure you can change lawyers. 

The details for changing lawyers will depend on how far along your claim is. If you haven’t officially filed a claim, you may be able to simply switch lawyers before you file. As long as you stay within the three-year statute of limitation, you should be able to file a claim without worry. 

If your claim is in progress, you may need to take other steps to change your accident lawyer. Let’s say your claim has already been filed and your time in court is already underway. You may need to file a substitution of counsel. This is a formal notice to the court that you plan to change attorneys. After this, you may be free to change your attorney. 

Work with the Right Lawyer for Your Claim

When you’re hurt in a serious accident, you need a lawyer you can trust with your personal injury claim. Unfortunately, your first lawyer may not be a good fit for your claim. The lawyers at Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg are here to help you find the right lawyer and get the representation you deserve. 

If you have a personal injury lawyer, but you’re not satisfied with them, reach out to our firm for a free consultation. We can discuss your options to change lawyers when you call 414-271-7007 or when you complete the online contact form below.