Milwaukee Car Accident FAQs

What is the first thing I should do after a motor vehicle accident?

The first thing you should do is call the police. Wisconsin law requires the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in personal injury, death or property damage to notify the local police department, sheriff or highway patrol of the accident. If you have been injured in the accident make sure to tell the police officer investigating the accident about any injury you have suffered.

What information should I obtain at the scene of the accident?

You should obtain the name, address and phone number of the other driver or drivers involved in the accident. You should also obtain their insurance information including policy numbers if you can. If you are able you should also obtain the name, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.

What should I do if I am injured in the accident?

If you have been injured you should go to the nearest emergency room or to your physician as quickly as possible to have the injuries checked by a health care professional. Be sure to disclose all injuries to the doctor even if they seem minor at the time. Sometimes injuries that appear minor become worse in the days after the accident.

Should I speak with any insurance claim adjuster after the accident? .

It is common for an insurance adjuster to call and ask an injured party to give either a written or recorded statement with regard to how the accident happened and also ask you about your injuries. You do not need to give any insurance company either a written or recorded statement before you talk to an attorney. If an insurance company calls you, get the company name, the person’s name and phone number and tell them you will call them back. Then contact an attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury claims to discuss your rights before talking to any insurance company.

What can an experienced personal injury lawyer do for me?

If you were injured in an accident and another party or parties were negligent an experienced attorney can gather the facts of your accident, make sure that all the evidence is preserved and gather all documentation to demonstrate the extent of your injuries and loss of earnings. Our office will also handle the vehicle damage portion of your case. If you do not have a regular physician or do not have health insurance we can suggest where to obtain medical treatment.

Do you have further questions we can help answer?