Can I Sue if a Drunk Driver Hits Me?

When another driver is careless, that already puts you in danger. When another driver is driving under the influence, they may put your life at risk by breaking the law. If you’ve been hit by an intoxicated driver, you may be suffering from severe injuries and expenses.

But can you sue if a drunk driver hits you in Wisconsin? The lawyers at the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg can help you determine that. If you’re not sure you’re eligible, reach out for help from our law firm.

Civil Lawsuits and Criminal Cases

When you’re hurt by a drunk driver, you may be worried about your opportunities to sue. Driving under the influence is a crime, so the drunk driver may face criminal charges for the injuries they caused. But you won’t receive financial compensation from their criminal trial, even if they’re found guilty.

You’ll need to instead file a lawsuit against the driver for hurting you. Your Wisconsin car accident lawsuit won’t lead to criminal penalties, like jail time, but it will help you get compensated for your injuries. Even better, you may be able to use evidence from the criminal trial to show they were dangerously negligent, even if they were found not guilty.

Compensation When a Drunk Driver Hits You

When you’re hurt in a serious Milwaukee car accident because of a drunk driver, you may be eligible for compensation for the related losses, or damages. These damages can be tough to calculate, though, especially because you’re hurt and may not have the experience you need.

Luckily, your lawyer can help you get compensated for these damages, both economic and non-economic. Check out the sample damages below and talk to your lawyer about seeking compensation for your own:

  • Medical bills
  • Car repairs
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Mental anguish

Talk to Your Car Accident Lawyer When a Drunk Driver Hits You

After you’re hurt by a drunk driver in Milwaukee, it can be tough to return to normal. You may have long-lasting injuries, and now, you’re struggling financially because of the accident. In these cases, can you sue if a drunk driver hits you?

Luckily, you may have grounds to act now and sue with the help of a lawyer from the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg. Your lawyer can seek compensation for you, starting with a free consultation about your losses. To connect with a lawyer, call 414-271-7007 or fill out the online contact form below about your consultation.